Leadership Ethics & Spirituality explains why and how you can be both effective and ethical as a successful leader while walking by faith. From a biblical worldview, it draws upon leadership research and ethics theory to explain what practices and character qualities you need to be a good leader and how you can develop and apply them successfully to the challenges faced in twenty-first-century organizations-effectively, ethically, and with spiritual-mindedness. Although written primarily to Christian leaders, it offers useful insights for those from other spiritual traditions and perspectives as well.
More about the book
Leadership Ethics & Spirituality: A Christian Perspective views leadership as a spiritual endeavor, not merely something to which we apply spiritual lessons. This means a leader should seek to bridge the gap between her deeper, inner self and her ultimate source of calling. Rather than moralizing or offering doctrinaire answers, it is a practical guide. The author supports his reflections by drawing on his interdisciplinary background of business ethics, leadership, and theology.
As a practical guide, it explains how to be both effective and ethical as a successful leader while walking by faith. Chapter 1 offers a rationale for why spiritual openness is important for a comprehensive leadership ethic. It distinguished biblical Christian spirituality from those of other worldview perspectives. The book then presents a reasoned Christian perspective of good leadership, an ethical decision model that allows for spiritual concerns, and practical suggestions as to how a person can make ethical decisions with spiritual-mindedness.
The ethical aspects of issues a leader is likely to confront are highlighted throughout the book, including the appendix. For example, a chapter assesses servant leadership, explaining why this very good approach, may not be the best approach for every leader to adopt. The book concludes by discussing practices a leader or prospective leader might adopt to fashion a personalized character development plan.
Leadership Ethics & Spirituality is for every spiritually-minded person called to a leadership role, in his workplace and his other areas of responsibility. It can help answer some important questions, including:
- What is good leadership?
- Am I really called to be a leader?
- What does my faith have to do with my leadership?
- How should I address and solve ethical issues?
- What moral character qualities do I need?
- What leadership style and practices should I adopt?
- How can I develop and grow into the leader God wants me to be?
The book’s key messages
Good leadership is a spiritual endeavor that requires openness to spiritual concerns as well as material ones.
- Materialism is an incomplete view of reality and thus an insufficient worldview for leadership. A good leader is effective and ethical spiritually-minded. All three aspects are needed. The leader should demonstrate effectiveness through technical competence and ethical decision making with spiritual understanding and the commitment to follow a biblically-grounded worldview
An ethically and spiritually-minded leader should learn basic ethical decision making concepts and strive to develop the strength of moral character to apply them in the context of his calling.
- This book presents a biblically-grounded ethical framework and illustrates how it can guide the leader.
For a Christian to be a good leader, she must apply a sound Christian ethic and seek to practice purposeful leadership in a technically excellent manner.
- Being called to a leadership role as well as be called to faith, and she must consistently seek to adhere to a Christian worldview in the workplace and in all other spheres of life.
Being a Christian does not guarantee that one is a good leader.
- But a person optimistically can seek to develop the moral strength of character needed to grow as an effective, ethical, and spiritually-minded leader. This book offers practical approaches for such growth, although success depends on the individual and the providential leading of God.
Good leadership is a worthy but very challenging ambition.
- Other people tend to hold a Christian leader to higher professional standards and personal behaviors than they hold themselves. The good leader needs to pray faithfully and humbly be open to seek forgiveness and strength.
Note to editor: The following book description is printed on the back cover of the book:
A practical guide for anyone called to be a good leader, Leadership Ethics & Spirituality explains why and how you can be much more effective and ethical as a successful leader while walking by faith. From a biblical worldview, it draws upon leadership research and ethics theory to explain what practices and character qualities you need to be a good leader and how you can develop them successfully to the challenges faced in twenty-first century organizations—effectively, ethically, and with spiritual-mindedness. Although written primarily for Christian leaders, it offers useful insights for those from other spiritual traditions and perspectives as well.